Shorten Up Your Armholes and Neckline

Finished shirt!
Finished shirt!

Kyra

My name is Kyra and I’m a computer programmer that decided to stay at home with my two beautiful daughters: Ada and Zoey. I created this website to share with you anything I come across in my day to day life that I think you may enjoy.

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. Winny says:

I have a request. I looked at the kimono style cover up too / jacket that’s free on so-sew-easy and cannot work out how to sew the armhole bands on. The comments show others have probs with it too. Don’t suppose you want to make it and explain how to do the bands?

2. Paula Beaudet says:

Thank you so much Kyra. I look foreward to more posts by you. Thanks again.

3. Ann lang says:

Love it. I will definitely try to make this.

4. PAT CLIFFORD says:

I’m going to give it a try thanks ?

5. Lori says:

Your tutorial is wonderful! You did a great problem solving. I particularly like the way you inserted your ties! That’s funny! It wouldn’t have occurred to me to try that.

6. Janet says:

Will this work on a shirt I purchased and the armholes are way to big

• Kyra says:

I’d already finished the shirt when I altered it so it should work. The only issues I can think of is your sewing machine’s seam (and thread color) might not match the factory ones of your shirt. After you trim the excess fabric in the armhole you might see the raw edge of the fabric through the armhole and may want to tack or sew the seam down. Also depending on the thickness of how the shirt’s binding is it might be too thick to sew through. Hope this helps and I hope it goes great!

• Selma says:

I am an experienced seamstress and I would work on the shoulders FIRST In some cases the only adjustment needed could be the shoulders. I see many 2x ^ 3x tops that are very big in the shoulders and under the arms. this happens when the width is needed in the stomach and hip area but not shoulders. Many times I will remove the sleeves and replace them to make a more narrow shoulder.

1. April 24, 2018

[…] making the bottom of my shirt’s armhole higher up within a couple months of each other? The first post dealt with a knit shirt where I had stretched out the bands while sewing them on. This post deals with a lightweight woven blouse. I had the good fortune of being able to test a […]