Ragamuffin’s Dynamite Top
I recently had the opportunity to pattern test the new dolman pattern from Ragamuffin Patterns. I fell in love with the Dynamite and just had to share it with you. The pattern itself comes with several options. You can dramatically change the garment to be different lengths ranging all the way from a crop top to a knee length dress. There are also different neckline options (boat neck, crew neck, and an asymmetrical neckline), sleeve lengths (from cap sleeves all the way to a full length sleeve), and a batwing option (including no batwing, medium batwing, and a full batwing). I loved the Dynamite pattern so much that after making three garments in a single fabric type I finally cut into my custom Doctor Who fabric I bought almost a year ago from Zenith and Quasar. The heavier fabric made the shirt a bit more fitted compared to the previous version but I love how it turned out. I can see making so many more of these tops in my future.
For this pattern the most important measurement is the hip. I measured into large according to my hip and bust measurements while my waist measurement just crossed into XXL. I decided to sew up a large but graded out at my waist to midway between the large and extra-large lines. I retraced the pattern pieces three times as I changed the length and chosen batwing amount between the iterations so the grading might have altered slightly between the three flowered versions of the Dynamite but overall they were the same size.
The flower fabric of the following three tops were bought from Girl Charlee Fabrics back in July. It’s a light to medium weight (8oz) fabric with the content listed as “cotton spandex rayon blend”. I thought it had a 75%/50% stretch rate when I tested the fabric but the website lists it as 45%/25% so it technically doesn’t have enough stretch for the Dynamite (pattern requires a 50% horizontal and 25% vertical minimum stretch).
My first version of the Dynamite I made was a no batwing, crew neck, cap sleeved top that I quickly fell in love with. I decided to continue with the same fabric and went on to make two other crew neck garments. The first as another shirt with long sleeves and medium batwing while my third was a knee length dress with an elbow length sleeves and full batwing. Since I used the same fabric for all three garments I figured I had to share with you to offer a comparison between the three different batwing options. The below comparison picture shows first the back of the garments while the second picture shows the front of them. All three garments are the same size (large with grading midway to extra large at the waist) and have a crew neck. Both pictures use the same ordering for easiest comparison. Order from left to right is
- Knee length dress, elbow length sleeves, and large batwing. Sleeves and skirt have been pulled up to cause extra draping.
- Same as the first only this time the length of the skirt and sleeves are as sewn with no pulling.
- No batwing, shirt length, and cap sleeve.
- Medium batwing, shirt length, and long sleeved.
I wanted to save my favorite for last while also wowing you with the versatility of the pattern so first up is my knee length dress. I ended up going with elbow length sleeves for this version along with a crew neck and the largest batwing. The really cool part of this dress is you can change it up based on how you feel at the moment. The top flows with the batwing yet the more fitted lower arm and skirt portion allow you to push up your sleeves and change the length of the dress to fit how you’re feeling and want to look at that moment. This version of the dress isn’t my personal favorite although I’ve seen many testers who have made epic dresses. That said it’s incredibly comfortable to wear and it’s definitely becoming one of my around the home outfits.
I made the next top using the shirt length of the pattern along with the crew neck, long sleeves, and the medium batwing. I love the length of the shirt and sleeves. I ended up cutting my binding a bit longer than the pattern called for so there is a bit of rippling along the neckline but that’s through no fault of the pattern itself. I love how this top looks and especially how comfortable it is. I like how the medium batwing offers the perfect amount of looseness without being too much. I’m looking forward to the colder weather when I can wear it more.
The no batwing, capped sleeve, crew neck top shown below was my first attempt at this pattern. It fits amazing, feels incredible, and I’m absolutely in love with it. I can see this being my go to favorite in the future.
After making three different tops using this dolman pattern I knew my favorite was the no batwing version. I wanted to make another with a different fabric and after much debating decided to cut into some heavier fabric I’d been saving since I bought it, through Zenith and Quasar, in a preorder back in November 2018. It’s an athletic brushed poly with a fabric content of polyester (87%) and spandex (13%). It has a weight of 265 gsm (15oz) and a 4-way 50%/50% stretch making it a heavier fabric than the other top I made. I decided to jump in by using the same pattern. I ended up with a top that feels a bit tighter than the previous version because of the difference in fabric but I absolutely love it and don’t regret cutting into this fabric for the Dynamite.
I absolutely love this top and had to share with you. The Dynamite is available through Raggamuffin patterns if you want to create your own version. If you do buy and sew it up I’d love to see what you make. Feel free to share your creation in the comments below, on my Facebook page, or through Instagram. Hope you’re having a great weekend!